Top Page > Academic Programme > Academic Policies & Grading System

Academic Policies & Grading System

The minimum coursework requirement for Special Undergraduate Students and Special Graduate Students is fifteen credits (equivalent to thirty ECTS) per semester or thirty credits (sixty ECTS) per year. Special Research Students are required to pursue research for a minimum of fifteen hours per week. At the end of their period of exchange, all NUPACE students having earned credits are presented with an official transcript of academic records specifying courses studied, evaluation of performance and credits awarded. The number of credits granted is determined by the academic regulations of Nagoya University and is based on the number of hours studied. Upon examining the academic transcript, the student's home institution may determine the appropriate number of credits to be granted at that institution. Prospective students are asked to note that the granting of credits for the purpose of earning a degree falls under the jurisdiction of the student's home institution.

NUPACE students earn two sets of grades in courses taken for credit: Grades based on Nagoya University's system, and their equivalent on the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System(ECTS) scale. ECTS has gained broad recognition as an international grade evaluation standard that facilitates the transfer of credits and grades between different university systems across the globe.

Nagoya University Grading System
ECTS Equivalent Scale
   S    Excellent
      A   Excellent
   A    Very Good
      B   Very Good
   B    Good
      C   Good
   C    Satisfactory
      D   Satisfactory
   F     Fail
      F   Fail
   W    Withdrawal

      Not Applicable

(Nagoya University does not adopt the grades E and Fx, as employed by the ECTS grading system)



Schools of Affiliation and Academic Advisor

All NUPACE students are affiliated to a School corresponding to their major area of study. In principle, a full-time faculty member whose field is close to that of the student's 'major' will be assigned to each student as his/her academic advisor.

[Top of Page]