1. University Fees
The payment of tuition fees shall be waived for those students designated as exchange students, who are enrolled at partner institutions with which Nagoya University has concluded tuition waiver agreements either at the university-wide or inter-departmental level. Refer to "Partner Institutions"
Where, upon the request of partner institutions and approval by Nagoya University, students participate in NUPACE as fee-paying students, they will be required to pay the following tuition fees to their school of affiliation at Nagoya University.
a) Special Undergraduate/Graduate Students:
¥14,800 per credit, to be paid at the beginning of each semester. *
(Students are required to carry a minimum load of fifteen credits per academic semester.)
b) Special Research Students:
¥29,700 per month, to be paid in a lump sum in the month of arrival.*
*Although accurate at the time of printing, fees are subject to change without notice.
2. Living Expenses
Students residing in Nagoya University accommodation:
Rent/Utilities: ¥20,000 ～ ¥40,000 per month
Food: ¥30,000 per month
Personal Expenses: ¥30,000 per month
The above is an estimation of the monthly expenditure of a reasonably thrifty international student at Nagoya University. Expenses will vary according to personal taste and lifestyle.
The Ministry of Education, Japan (MEXT), in collaboration with the Japan Student Services Organisation (JASSO), offers scholarships under the Student Exchange Support Program. The scholarship programme is intended to encourage student exchange between universities in Japan and their overseas partner institutions, promote understanding and friendship between the countries participating, and strengthen the internationalisation and competitiveness of Japanese universities. High calibre applicants, meeting the eligibility criteria below, may be nominated by Nagoya University to receive a scholarship.
The scholarship is open to students who at the time of application and admission to Nagoya University are enrolled in full-time courses of study at institutions of higher education outside of Japan, and who meet the following conditions:
1) Applicants must possess the nationality of a country having diplomatic relations with Japan, including Taiwan and the Palestinian Territories.
2) Applicants must be eligible to obtain a student visa for the purpose of study in Japan. Dual/multi-nationals in possession of Japanese nationality are not eligible to apply for this scholarship.
3) Applicants must be enrolled at institutions having concluded a student exchange agreement with Nagoya University and have their applications accepted by Nagoya University.
4) Applicants must possess excellent academic and personal records at their home institutions. A minimum grade point average of 3.1 on a scale of 4.0 (or the equivalent) for the academic year prior to admission is required.
5) Applicants must, for reasons of financial difficulty, be unable to finance their studies in Japan independently.
6) Applicants must, upon completion of the term of exchange, return to their home institutions to resume their studies or to be awarded with their degrees.
7)Applicants must not be recipients of scholarship awards from other organisations, where the combined value of these additional scholarships exceeds ¥80,000 per month. (NB. Students are permitted to receive grants or awards besides the JASSO Student Exchange Support Program scholarship, provided that the combined value of additional scholarships does not exceed ¥80,000 per month.)
8) Applicants are not permitted to simultaneously apply for a Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarship for the same academic year.
9) Applicants must, upon completion of their term of scholarship, submit a study report to Nagoya University
b) Scholarship Provisions
A monthly stipend of ¥80,000 for between four and eleven months. School of Medicine students engaging in clinical practice may be permitted to receive the scholarship for a period of three months.
c) Application Method
No application is necessary. Nagoya University will nominate high calibre applicants to JASSO on the basis of 1) the standard of their applications (GPAs are particularly important), 2) the total number of scholarships allocated to Nagoya University by JASSO, and 3) regional and institutional balances.
d) Notification of Results
Students shall be officially notified by Nagoya University of the result of their application for a JASSO Student Exchange Support Program scholarship as follows:
1) Late April 2021, for students applying for early April 2021 entry.